Anyone who enjoys sushi rolls knows just how fun and exciting they can be. With this simple yet delicious salad roll recipe, now you can enjoy the fun and excitement of rolls for a nutritious snack. And, if you’ve never tried sushi rolls but always wanted to, this salad roll alternative to traditional sushi rolls can serve as a precursor to the real thing.
This salad roll recipe is easy and packed full of nutritious ingredients for a healthy snack any time of the day, and it incorporates many of the main ingredients used in traditional sushi rolls, sans the sushi, for a fun way to get your veggies.
What You Will Need:
- 1 nori (seaweed) sheet
- 1-2 butter lettuce leaves
- 1 cup of sushi rice*
- 5 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2-3 chunks of avocado
- 1/3 celery stick, julienned
- 1/3 carrot stick, julienned
- 1/3 green pepper, julienned
- Cranberries or cranberry sauce
- 1 bamboo sushi roll Mat
- Plastic wrap
- Your favourite Asian inspired sauce for dipping
1. Prepare the sushi rice according to the instructions.
2. In a small bowl, combine the rice wine vinegar, sugar, and salt.
3. Add the rice to a large bowl; then, add the seasonings a little at a time. Gently mix the seasonings with the rice using a wooden spoon. Use a slicing motion to incorporate the seasonings to avoid making the rice too sticky.
4. Cover the bowl with a clean, damp towel, and allow it cool for about 30 minutes.
5. Cover the sushi roll mat with plastic wrap.
6. Place the nori sheet flat on a level surface.
7. Add the sushi rice to the top of the nori sheet so that it covers the entire sheet.
8. Place the nori sheet rice side down onto the bamboo mat.
9. Add a layer of celery, long-wise, in a single line across the centre of the nori sheet so that it extends from one end of the sheet to the other. Add the remainder of the veggies, one layer at a time, ending with the butter lettuce. Lastly, add a layer of cranberry sauce.
10. Using the sushi mat, roll the nori sheet into a snug log.
11. Top the log with plastic wrap; then, using a sharp knife, cut the roll into bite-size rounds.
Place the salad rolls on a platter then simply store it in the refrigerator for a bite-sized healthy snack you can munch on throughout the day!
*White sushi rice is naturally low in fat and contains trace nutrients; however, for a healthier alternative, simply swap out the white sushi rice for whole-grain sushi rice, which is nutrient-rich and high in fibre.
Why Are Salad Rolls Healthy?
These salad rolls are packed full of vegetables, which together provide more than their share of the daily recommended vitamin and mineral intake.
The Health Benefits of Nori
Nori, which is simply shredded seaweed pressed into sheets, provides a wide range of health benefits. In fact, according to experts, this “super” marine food is a good source of essential vitamins, including vitamin K, which helps with wound healing, and iron, which nourishes your blood and increases blood flow to your tissues.
It is also rich in calcium, an essential mineral necessary for strong teeth and bones, and it also contains fibre, which aids in digestion and helps reduce fat absorption, and more.
The Health Benefits of Butter Lettuce
According to experts, this buttery, slightly sweet, crisp lettuce, which includes both Bibb and Boston varieties, is a good source of vitamin A, blood-enriching iron, and trace amounts of calcium and more, which makes it one of the best salad greens for your health.
The Health Benefits of Fresh Carrots
Carrots are well-known for their vitamin A content, which is essential for good eye health; however, experts inform they are also high in disease-fighting antioxidants, beta-carotene, fibre, vitamin C, and other essential nutrients that contribute to overall health.
The Health Benefits of Fresh Celery
Doctors tout that celery provides a wide range of impressive benefits from cardiovascular benefits to anti-inflammatory benefits and even blood pressure and cholesterol-lowering benefits and more, which makes it good all by itself.
Celery is an excellent source of beneficial enzymes, and it contains a high level of antioxidants. It also contains many essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium, folate, and dietary fibre, which boosts digestion and aids in weight loss.
The Health Benefits of Fresh Green Peppers
Green peppers are another great source of nutrition, including vitamin C, vitamin A, beta-carotene, potassium, folic acid, and fibre, which doctors say are good for your overall health, and they are also low in calories.
The Health Benefits of Fresh Cranberries
These sweet, tangy berries are high in various plant compounds and vitamins, which are shown to be effective against urinary tract infections. They are a rich source of vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K1, manganese, and copper, and they also contain soluble fibre, which is good for digestion.
The Health Benefits of Avocados
Avocados contain more potassium than bananas, and they are loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated oleic fatty acids, experts say. They are also rich in fibre, vitamins K, C, B5, B6, and E, as well as folate, which makes them a great addition to any snack.
You simply cannot make these beautiful, fun, and exciting rolls without sharing them with your friends, so be sure to upload your pics and share your experience with making these rolls with your social media peers. Furthermore, to remain in the know concerning more nutritious snack ideas, be sure to sign up for our newsletter. Also, please be sure to leave a comment and let us know how you enjoyed this recipe as well as other healthy snack recipes you would like to see.